4/2/14

The President of the Republic received the credentials of the new Ambassador of Japan





The President of the Republic, Mr. Nicos Anastasiades, received today, at a formal ceremony at the Presidential Palace, the credentials of the new Ambassador of Japan, stationed in Athens, Mr. Masuo Nishibayashi.



Presenting his credentials Mr. Nishibayashi said:

 Your Excellency,

It is a great honor and privilege for me to be received in audience today by Your Excellency and present my Letters of Credence as Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Japan to the Republic of Cyprus and the Letter of Recall of my predecessor.

I have been instructed by His Majesty the Emperor of Japan to convey to Your Excellency his sincere hope that the friendly relations now happily existing between our two countries shall be further enhanced in the years to come.

Your Excellency, it is my great pleasure to acknowledge that the Republic of Cyprus and Japan have maintained excellent bilateral relations since the independence of Your country.

As Ambassador of Japan to the Republic of Cyprus, I would like to further strengthen and develop the friendly relations and cooperation between our two countries.

Your Excellency, I would like to express my sincere gratitude for your Governments warm assistance to the Japanese people at the occurrence of the big earthquake three years ago. Especially, I believe that your invitation to a group of children from the disaster-hit areas not only gave courage to the children but also contributed to the further growth of our relationship.


I would also like to confirm the position of the Government of Japan regarding the Cyprus problem. My Government will continue its contributions to a peaceful and viable solution as a member of the G8 and as a member of the United Nations so that the people of Cyprus may live in a secure environment.

Your Excellency, last but not least, I wish to you and to all the people in the Republic of Cyprus, best wishes for peace and prosperity.”

Replying, President Anastasiades said:

Your Excellency,

It is with great pleasure that I receive today your Letters of Credence appointing you as the new Ambassador of Japan to the Republic of Cyprus. Please accept my hearty congratulations for your appointment. I sincerely wish you every success in this task. I would also like to assure you that my Government will assist your efforts to further strengthen our relations with steady and strong support during your tenure.

Mr. Ambassador,

I would like to note that the relations between our two countries have been excellent throughout the years. Cyprus was pleased to see the official launching of the negotiations for a Free Trade Agreement between the European Union and Japan, in March last year. As Presidency of the Council of the European Union in the second half of 2012, Cyprus successfully steered the negotiations, which led to the results of the third round of negotiations. I assure you of our commitment to further support this progress to its successful conclusion.

Our two maritime countries share common challenges and opportunities. Our common and uncompromised respect for the United Nations Convention of the Law of the Sea forms the foundation upon which the international maritime and energy sectors can develop for the benefit of all nations. In this particular area, we have experiences and practices to exchange for constructive purposes. We look forward to that.

It is my belief that this is also a timely opportunity for us to work together to bring the people of our two island countries closer and, despite the distance, to learn from each other and to exchange the wisdom of old traditions. There is ample ground for developing and bolstering our bilateral cooperation in the sectors of Tourism, Energy and Fisheries. Moreover, we would highly appreciate the prospect of Japanese investments in Cyprus, the realization of which will provide an additional incentive for the enhancing of our bilateral economic relations. Let me assure you that my Government is willing to intensively work with you for further strengthening our bilateral relations.

Your Excellency,

I am convinced that the reunification of Cyprus will undoubtedly have a positive impact on the turbulent region of the Eastern Mediterranean, which is in much need of security and prosperity. In this respect, I would like to reiterate my commitment and resolve to work relentlessly aiming at reaching a viable and lasting settlement based on a series of High-Level Agreements between the leaders of the two communities and the relevant United Nations Resolutions that will address the concerns of both communities and of all Cypriots. As President of the Republic, I am committed, more than ever before, to do my utmost in order to end the division and reunify the island.

In this framework, my primary goal is the re-launching of negotiations under UN auspices that will be properly and thoroughly prepared and unequivocally conducted in accordance with the United Nations resolutions providing for a bizonal, bicommunal federation with political equality, as defined in the relevant resolutions with a single sovereignty, single citizenship and single international personality and restoring and respecting the human rights and fundamental freedoms of all Cypriots and their longing to live in a normal and prosperous European country. These objectives must be jointly and clearly shared in order for the negotiating process to bear fruit. The settlement must serve, above all, the legitimate interests and aspirations of the people of Cyprus as a whole.

Your Excellency,

In welcoming you to Cyprus, I would kindly request that you convey to His Majesty the Emperor and to the friendly people of your country my warmest greetings for their health and prosperity and a message of sincere friendship. Concluding, I would like to, once more, assure you that all your efforts to develop a multifaceted and mutually beneficial cooperation will meet the unfailing support of my Government.

Ambassador Nishibayashi, I warmly welcome you to Cyprus.”

Present at the ceremony were the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr Ioannis Kasoulides, the Director of the Office of the President, Mr Panayiotis Antoniou, and the Chief of Protocol, Mr Nearchos Palas.
_______________