9/2/14

Written statement by the President of the Republic of Cyprus Mr Nicos Anastasiades





Following an arduous effort of many months, we reached an agreement on the content of the Joint Statement, which will allow the resumption of a substantive dialogue for the attainment of a solution that will relieve our homeland from the occupation, will lead to reunification and also to the safeguarding of human rights and basic freedoms of all the legitimate citizens of Cyprus.


I follow with patience and calmness but also with special respect, the views and positions expressed by political leaders and other personalities about the content of the Joint Statement.

Nevertheless, I am obliged to point out that I consider totally baseless and groundless but also dangerously arbitrary, the allegations that are put forward in order to alter the content of the joint statement. I feel the need to stress with emphasis that, in spite of whatever is being put forward, I have not deviated even in the slightest from my pre-election commitments toward the Democratic Party (DIKO) or to the people of Cyprus at large. During a press conference that I will hold in the coming days, I will make a detailed analysis of the actual facts and all that is achieved through the Joint Statement, in order to inform the people fully.

I purposely avoid any confrontation because my goal remains to have consensus and to move forward together, to the greatest degree possible, with all the political forces. What I seek, is the joint handling of the great challenges and difficulties that we are asked to address with the commencement of the new round of negotiations. We don’t agree on everything, but neither do we disagree on everything. Let us at least cooperate on everything that unites us; in order to fight together for the achievement of a viable solution that will safeguard a modern European state for all the citizens of our country.
I take the opportunity to express my warmest thanks both to the Prime Minister and the Government of Greece, for the full support they offered me. I also express my great satisfaction for the responsible stance by the two major political parties, DISY and AKEL, but also for the responsible attitude shown by other political forces, and in particular the wider society.

The Joint Statement is only the beginning. Hard work and an arduous effort are waiting for us. In the next time period, the patriotic stature of all of us will be assessed: political leadership, mass media, and civil society. Everybody has something to contribute in this effort; as long as we engage in discussions with arguments based on real facts and with calmness and political ethos, as it is appropriate for a mature society. As the Prime Minister of Greece also pointed out, we must not allow ourselves to experience the divisive discord of the past.

--------------------