16/11/13

Written statement by the President of the Republic Mr Nicos Anastasiades






It is with deep sorrow and great pain that I was informed tonight of the death of the former President of the Republic of Cyprus Glafcos Clerides.



Glafcos Clerides has been throughout his historic course a political leader of international stature, who succeeded in serving far-reaching political visions. He was present in all the struggles, not only of our small homeland, but also of humanity. He served in the Second World War, he was present in the Cyprus anticolonial liberation struggle of EOKA during 1955-1959 and was a prominent pioneer and pillar of the Republic of Cyprus.

During the tragic years of national discord, Glafcos Clerides was the composed, consensual and moderate leader, who kept himself away from and above the quarrels and rivalries. He reconstituted the state from the ruins of the national tragedy of 1974, leaving his mark on the consolidation of the Republic. Glafcos Clerides was elected for two terms as President of the Republic of Cyprus, which he delivered as a full member of the European Union.

I express my deep sorrow and my great pain for his loss. At the same time, however, I feel proud that I have served by his side. The weight of the legacy that Glafcos Clerides, the man and the politician, has left us is enormous.

I have already expressed my sincere and warm condolences to his family and especially to his daughter Kaitie. Our thoughts will be with them at this difficult time.

I am interrupting my trip to Sri Lanka immediately and I am returning to Cyprus at the earliest possible.
--------------------