17/3/15

Draft transcript of the UN Secretary General’s Special Adviser on Cyprus Mr E. B. Eide’s remarks to the Media after his meeting with the President of the Republic

Draft transcript of the UN Secretary General’s Special Adviser on Cyprus
Mr E. B. Eide’s remarks to the Media after his meeting
with the President of the Republic


I am very happy to be here, I had an excellent meeting with Mr Anastasiades. I think there is a growing sense that the circumstances that led to the suspension of the talks may soon be over. We of course need to see that this is a fact before we can move on but expectations are that within reasonable time we will be able to get back to a climate where we can not only talk again but maybe even see if those talks can be accelerated.

I feel that there is a wish and desire to now invest in this, after the crisis we have had. Sometimes crises can help clarify people's mind and illustrate that there are bigger issues out there that we have to meet together. So, I am significantly more optimistic than last time you saw me.

Q: When do you see this happen?

A: As you know the NAVTEX expires on the 6th of April so that is one factor which would contribute constructively to the resumption of talks and also all the developments in the gas sector seem now move in such a director that we may have a climate where talks can continue. It seems that a window may be created where the mutual reasons for what has happened over winter are not there and if that momentum occurs we will use it. What we are trying to do now is to talk about what we will do if this is possible. Assuming that we are moving into a better space then we will accelerate talks and try to see how far we can get.

Q: You mean a mutual secession?

A: No I don't talk about any agreed mutual secessions, I am just looking at the different factors that are out there anyway.

Q: The window is small, but what if ENI-Kogas starts working after its maintenance is done.

A: I only recognize that given the developments in the gas market, where as you know the gas prices are low and so far the findings are not particularly promising, this is not something that is up to me to comment, but my sense is that these can create some time to get back to the talks and then of course when we are talking the main purpose is not only to deal with technical issues but to create the climate that in the future we will not have the same need to move out of the talks.

Q: Do you still believe that this is the last chance for finding a solution based on a bizonal, bicommunal federation?

A: My point now is that we have a chance, there is a real chance. I think people have to realize that we cannot go on year after year without any progress, because this problem has remained unresolved for many decades. Hence, at some stage there must be shared will to move on. I actually feel that this will is there. I just feel that in addition to the will there must be the right circumstances and if these circumstances occur we must be ready to grasp the opportunity and use it constructively.

Q: Is this the last chance?

A: There will not be many more chances, let me put it that way.