5/9/14

The President of the Republic received the new UN Secretary General’s Special Adviser on Cyprus

The President of the Republic received
the new UN Secretary General’s Special Adviser on Cyprus


The President of the Republic Mr Nicos Anastasiades received today, at the Presidential Palace, the new UN Secretary General’s Special Adviser on Cyprus, Mr Espen Barth Eide.

After his meeting with the President of the Republic, the UN official told reporters that “I am really honored to be given this assignment by the UN Secretary General. It is a very important assignment at a pivotal moment for Cyprus and also for the broader region.

I met the Secretary General exactly 24 hours ago in New York. That was my last meeting before I came here, and my two first meetings are with his Excellency Mr Anastasiades and then I will go straight to see his Excellency Mr Eroglu later today. And that will be my inaugural meeting with the two sides.”

He added that “I am hoping to develop a close working relationship with both sides and that I can encourage them and everybody else involved in thinking about the need to move ahead. And I come with a very strong personal mandate from the Secretary General who really wants to see that we are now moving ahead, building on the achievement that was made in the joint declaration of 11 February.”

Asked if he brings any ideas in helping things move forward, Mr Eide said that “the talks may not have gone as one expected when the joint declaration was made and that is why I am here. I do have some ideas, but I should share them with the leaders first.”

With regard to a future meeting between the leaders he said that “I am now raising the issue with the two leaders,” adding that when he concludes his meetings with both leaders then he will be able to draw conclusions on that issue.

He added that “it is proper to listen, and learn and get to know the people I am working with,” noting that he will be back in Cyprus probably before October. “I am based in Geneva,” he said pointing out that he will be able to come to Cyprus on a very short notice.
He pointed out that the UN Secretary General’s Special Representative in Cyprus Mrs Lisa Buttenheim “will be running business on a day to day basis,” adding that he will be as engaged as he can “when there is movement and when I see that I can be helpful.”

Asked if he has any concerns given the fact that the Cyprus problem is a difficult one, he said that, although there is no comparison to the Cyprus problem, he referred to his country that had a dispute with a big neighbor in the east over maritime delineation for 40 years “and we thought it was unsolvable and became part of us, and suddenly we solved it a few years ago. It was a very good feeling. So, problems you think can’t be solved, can be solved if there is will and sometimes that will has to develop in the community, has to develop among the leaders, but with some help from outside it may come sooner. I will do my best.”

______________