19/1/14

Address by the President of the Republic Mr Nicos Anastasiades at the Polio Fundraising Dinner organised by the Rotary Clubs

 


Dear Ambassador of our friendly neighbouring country Lebanon, Dr. Youssef Sadaka,
Governor of District 2452 Jamil Mouawad,
 RI Zone Coordinator, Past District Governor Doros Ieropoulos,
 Rotary Leaders, Rotarians,
 Ladies and Gentlemen,
 
Welcome to the Presidential Palace.

 
It is a great honour for me to be pinned twice as a Paul Harris Fellow by the Rotary Clubs of Limassol and Nicosia Lefkothea. I accept this award in full consciousness of its importance, as it is the highest recognition offered to a non Rotarian, bearing the name of its founder. I have no doubt that the $2,000 donated in my name by the two clubs will be utilized by the Rotary Foundation for a worthy cause such as the complete eradication of Polio from the planet.
 
Rotary is an outstanding organization, which via its work around the globe is striving to make the world a better place, through, amongst others, initiatives in support of health care, education and the alleviation of poverty. I fully and wholeheartedly share your mission.
 
 Dear Governor Jamil,
 
It is a pleasure to welcome you and Patricia to Cyprus and at the Presidential Palace.
 
I have seen and listened with great interest to all that was presented here today about the crusade that Rotary launched in the 1980s for the eradication of Polio, one of the most dreaded diseases.
 
There is no doubt that what has been achieved is remarkable; the systematic vaccination of 2.5 billion children even in the most distant places of the world that led to a 99% decrease in the number of Polio paralysis cases and its containment in only three endemic countries.
 
There is no doubt that such an achievement required a lot of money, great organizational and operational expertise, as well as thousands of hours of voluntary work by selfless individuals; the epitome of Rotary and Rotarians.
 
But there can be no doubt, that unless Polio is totally eradicated from the face of the earth, no child anywhere in the world can feel safe.
 
I therefore fully support your efforts to end Polio by 2018 and I commit myself to spread the message to other world leaders, asking them to support Rotary’s effort.
  
I am aware of the significant community work accomplished by Rotarians within Cyprus throughout the years. I urge you to intensify your efforts, as the recent economic crisis has generated unprecedented needs to a lot of our compatriots. Influential service organizations such as Rotary have definitely a role to play supplementing the efforts of the state.

Among the great achievement of Cyprus Rotary is your success to unite Greek and Turkish Cypriot Rotarians under the same roof, without politics being a stumbling block for cooperation among you. You are a living example that the two communities can live and work harmoniously together for the common good.

You are an example that we politicians should imitate in order to reunite our country. I therefore extend a special welcome to the Turkish Cypriots Rotarians who are among us tonight.
 
For all these reasons it is my pleasure to put this event under my auspices and I would wholeheartedly like to wish every success in your efforts to End Polio Now. On behalf of my wife Andri and myself, I would like to once more welcome you all tonight at the Presidential Palace and wish you a pleasant and enjoyable night.